Do you want to buy a hoverboard and are you wondering from what age a child can ride a hoverboard? Or which hoverboard to choose among the different models? Then this guide is made to help you make the right choice!
Kids love hoverboards . They may have seen several celebrities who flaunt it on social media, or just their classmates.
And inevitably, they will take advantage of their birthday or Christmas to make the request. As a parent, how can you be sure that the hoverboard chosen will be the one that will correspond to the child?
Today, we have concocted a list of 4 key points to take into account in order to be sure to buy the best hoverboard for your child.
The 4 key points to check when buying a children's hoverboard
Point 1: Take into account the child's age and weight
There is no real minimum age to practice the hoverboard.
On the other hand, balance, dexterity, and above all weight are essential . Some children have good balance as early as 5 years old.
However, we estimate that from the age of 10 , the child can have a good command of it in just a few minutes.
But it is the weight that is THE determining criterion . A hoverboard is equipped with sensors located under the pedals. Most hoverboards detect users from a weight of 25-30 kg .
Point 2: Check the autonomy of the hoverboard
This varies according to the models, and will determine the type of use that can be made of the machine (work, leisure, walks, games, etc.).
For example, our model for young children, the Baby , will have a range of 10 km, and will be perfect for toddlers from 2 to 7 years old who already want to learn about 100% electric skiing!
The older ones can opt for our inexpensive hoverboard , the Light, equipped with LEDs and Bluetooth .
How is the autonomy of a hoverboard calculated?
You should know that the autonomy of a hoverboard is calculated according to several criteria:
- The surface of the ground : The state of the ground has an impact on the autonomy. The more bumpy the ground, the more effort the battery will require.
- Weight : The heavier the user, the shorter the battery life will be
- The outside temperature : The recommended temperature range is -10° and 30°C during use, but a hoverboard should not be left in the cold without use, at the risk of strongly affecting the capacities of the battery.
- Speed and driving style : Driving in jerks tends to reduce range
Point 3: Be vigilant about European hoverboard standards
Compliance with safety standards is also an essential criterion when choosing the hoverboard, as well as the brand that offers it for sale.
Here are the main standards that govern the safety of Hoverboards :
- UL : mechanical, fire and electric shock hazards. USA standard.
- CE : European safety standard. It is the main one in France.
- RoHS : validates the restriction of the use of hazardous substances
- MSDS : this is the product safety data sheet
- EMC : on electromagnetic emissions and electrical interference
- LVD : About Voltage Limits
Point 4: The safety of using the hoverboard
The hoverboard is an electric urban mobility vehicle, but it is nonetheless a gliding device . It is therefore important to focus on safety, especially when it comes to our children.
To optimize safety, it is recommended that children be equipped with protective kits including a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards.
We systematically offer this kit for any purchase of a Baby Weebot hoverboard .
Conclusion on which Hoverboard to buy for a Child?
As you will have understood, it is necessary to be careful before buying a hoverboard for a child , otherwise you will have a poor quality machine.
So that your child can play with his hoverboard for a long time without worries, we recommend that you opt for a recognized brand like Weebot .